Saturday, 14 September 2013

DIY Leather Clutch Bag

I have always been really inspired by streetstyle and recently I've fallen in love with these cute colourful leather clutch bags! I thought I would re-create the bag by using some leather that I bought from my local fabric shop and also got some quirky patterned fabric for the lining. I plan on making many more of these in different coulors and styling them all differently. Stay tuned:)

Start by getting some leather and a piece of fabric that you like which is going to be used for the lining of the bag. I didn't have exact measurements but I had an idea in mind of what size I wanted my bag to be while bearing in mind that it will be a half an inch shorter either side because of a seam allowance. 
Pin the two layers of fabric together along the sides making sure you remember the seam allowance. This is going to be the inside of your bag and all the sewing will be done on this side. We will turn the bag the right way around at the very end!
 Using a sewing machine, sew alongside where you put the pins previously. Make sure to not sew the top of the bag as this is the opening and where the zip is going to go!
Once you have sewn along the sides, mark with a pen two small triangles each coming 2 inches away from the corners of the bag. Sew along these lines to give the bag more shape and definition. (Make sure to measure correctly because I didn't on the right hand side of the bag and had to do it again!) I also cut smaller triangles at the bottom corners because there would be a lot of excess fabric sticking out inside the bag otherwise. (OPTIONAL)
 Now it's time to put your zip on which it the last step! At the top of your bag create a seam/overlap of about an inch, and onto this you are going to sew your zip. Use pins to secure this while making sure that there is enough space for the zip to close and also while sewing it leave the zip open. This step can be quite tricky so take your time. When you're finished sewing on your zip turn the bag inside out and hey presto you have a clutch bag.... magic!


How would you style this bag?

Ciara
xox

4 comments:

  1. I think since it's black, it's SO easy to style it! + I love the lining, how adorable and edgy :) If I'd have a sewing machine right now, I'd definitely try this out!

    xoxo

    www.zerxzastyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought I would keep the outside simple as this is only my second time making the bag but I plan on making it in many different colours:)

      Ciara

      Delete
  2. Wow you did an amazing job! Oh I miss my sewing machine right now.
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, I'm glad you liked it!

      Ciara

      Delete